The National Basketball Association's Most Improved Player Award is an annual National Basketball Association (NBA) award given since the 1985–86 NBA season, to the most improved player of the regular season. The winner is selected by a panel of sportswriters throughout the United States and Canada, each of whom casts a vote for first, second and third place selections. Each first-place vote is worth five points; each second-place vote is worth three points; and each third-place vote is worth one point. The player with the highest point total, regardless of the number of first-place votes, wins the award.
Since its inception, the award has been given to 31 different players. The most recent award winner in 2019 was Cameroonian player Pascal Siakam, who is also the first winner of this award to have won an NBA championship in the same season as his award (with the Toronto Raptors). Only two other award winners, Boris Diaw and Kevin Love, have gone on to win NBA titles during their careers. The only player to win this award and go on to become an NBA MVP is Giannis Antetokounmpo (Most Improved Player in 2017, MVP in 2019).
Seven winners of this award were born outside the United States. In chronological order of their awards, they are Rony Seikaly,[a] Gheorghe Mureşan, Boris Diaw, Hedo Türkoğlu, Goran Dragić, Antetokounmpo, and Siakam.
- a Rony Seikaly was born in Lebanon with dual citizenship in that country and the United States. He represented the United States at the 1986 FIBA World Championship.
- "Golden State’s Ellis Wins 2006-07 NBA Most Improved Player Award". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. 2007-04-26. http://www.nba.com/news/ellis_mostimproved_070426.html. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "Rony Seikaly". basketball-reference.com. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/seikaro01.html. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- "Rony Seikaly" (in Spanish). Asociación de Clubs de Baloncesto. http://www.acb.com/jugador.php?id=A5Z. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- "All-Time USA Basketball Men's Roster: S". USA Basketball. http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=men_alpha_S. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- "Most Improved Player". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. http://www.nba.com/history/awards_mostimproved.html. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- "Most Improved Player Award Winners". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/mip.html. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- This article related to Basketball is short. PLEASE do expand it!